Harissa Bobotie Vegan Meatloaf
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 1/2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Small Red Onion coarsely chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 3 Hot Red Chiles seeded and coarsley chopped
- 1 1/3 tsp Tomato Paste
- 2 tbsp Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp Kosher or Sea Salt
Bobotie Vegan Meatloaf
- 1 tbsp Curry Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander
- 1 tsp Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- 2 tbsp Vegetable or Olive Oil
- 2 Onions cut in halves then thinly slice (yields about 4 cups)
- 4 Garlic, minced
- 2 12 oz Ives Ground Round (Vegan) use 1lb and 1lb lamb for non-vegan eaters
- 2 Medium Carrots, grated
- 1/3 cup Golden Raisins
- 2 tbsp Apricot Preserves
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Kosher or Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
- 5 Bay Leaves
- 1/2 cup Bread Crumbs
- 2-3 oz Just Egg
- Place the pepper under a very hot broiler, turning occasionally for about 25 minutes, until blackened on the outside and completely soft. Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and allow to cool. Peel the pepper and discard its skin and seeds.
- Place a dry frying pan over low heat and lightly toast the coriander, cumin, and caraway seeds for 2 minutes. Remove them to a mortar and use a pestle to grind to a powder.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat, and fry the onion, garlic, and chiles for 10 to 12 minutes, until a dark smoky color and almost caramelized.
- Now use a blender or a food processor to blitz together all of the paste ingredients until smooth, adding a little more oil if needed.
Bobotie Vegan Meatloaf
- Measure out the Dried spices: Combine all the dried spices in a small bowl: curry, coriander, ginger, thyme, turmeric, cinnamon and cayenne.
- Cook Onions, Garlic and Spices: Heat oil in a large skillet. Sautée onion on medium low heat for 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add spices and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Remove skillet from the heat. Add a tablespoon or two of water if the spices are sticking to the bottom of the pan. Scrape mixture into a large bowl and allow to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Add The Vegan Mixture: Add Ives Ground round, just egg, carrots, apples, golden raisins (optional), apricot preserves, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix everything together (best to use your hands) until just combined. Add mixture in clumps then mold into meatloaf shape, ensuring that everything is firmly compressed together (to avoid loaf breaking apart during cooking, (2-3qts) and bake for 30- 45 minutes. Add Harrisa sauce 20-25 minutes after placing in the oven, cook until sauce hardens and is slightly browned.