Not too many dishes get me overly excited. Baked Cococnut Turmeric Chickpea Rice is officially one of my favorite new side-dishes. Simply cooking this dish had me excited. The heavenly aroma as the sauce boiled had me anxious with anticipation.
Cooking great food has been always been therapy for me. Especially, with all of the turmoil going on in both my personal and professional life. But, seeing the expressions on my family and friends faces, as they enjoy my meals – is priceless! Your family will want you to make this side dish time and time again.
Need more convincing this dish is a hit? Would you believe that I ate an entire 18 inch dish all by myself? Baked Coconut Turmeric Chickpea Rice is just that good.
Baked Coconut Turmeric Chickpea Rice
- 3 cups Basmati Rice
- 2 cups Chickpea after overnight soak of dehydrated chickpeas for about 10 hours
- 1 can Thai Coconut Milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 2 tbsp Turmeric
- 1 1/2 cups Chopped Red Onions
- 1/2 cup Chopped Spring Onions
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1-2 tsp Kosher or Sea Salt
- 1 cube Vegetable Bouillon
- 1 box Vegetable Broth
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil and sautée onions for 5 minutes (as an alternate you can sautée on the stove top). Add in chickpeas or garbanzo beans, garlic and cook for another 5 minutes
- Then add turmeric, stir well and cook for a minute or so. Shake and pour can of coconut milk in the pot. Stir well and gently simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Add rice, salt, bouillon, broth, black pepper,spring onions . Stir well. Cover and bake at 400 for 40-45 minutes. Remove from oven , let sit for 5 minutes , fluff and enjoy.