- 1 cup mashed fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 6 eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 8 slices bread, cut in half diagonally
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 8 sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- 1 cup whipped cream
- Preheat an oven to 100 degrees F ( 40 degrees C).
- Heat mashed strawberries and 1/2 cup white sugar in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Mix cornstarch and water together in a bowl, then stir into the strawberries.
- Cook and stir until thickened, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and simmer while preparing remaining ingredients, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk together the milk and eggs in a bowl; set aside.
- Mash cream cheese, vanilla extract, and 3/4 cup white sugar in a bowl until smooth.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture over a triangle-shaped piece of bread, and top with another piece. Repeat with remaining bread and cream cheese mixture to make 8 triangle-shaped sandwiches.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Dip the sandwiches into the egg mixture, 2 or 3 at a time, and place in the skillet.
- Cook until golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer pan-fried sandwiches to a baking sheet and place in the preheated oven to keep warm while cooking remaining sandwiches.
- To serve, top French toast with warm strawberry glaze and sliced fresh strawberries and sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.
Per Serving: 436 calories; 21.1 g fat; 52.7 g carbohydrates; 10.3 g protein; 195 mg cholesterol; 329 mg sodium.